The draft will be held on November 4th, 2023 at the Lamar Dixon Gyms.
(See below for times and locations)
Under 8 years old program
Please note that there are no draft for children in the under 8 year old program. This is the only age group that may request a coach, or to be placed with other children they know. Parents may make that request during the registration process.
Under 10 years old and above programs
Parent’s MAY NOT MAKE REQUESTS to put a child on a specific team, unless it is to place siblings together.
All registered players should attend the AYBA draft except for the under 8 age group 5, 6, 7 year old boys and girls (born in 2016, 2017, 2018)
The 2023 draft will be held on November 4th. We will use the following schedule:
Under 11 – 8, 9 and 10 year old girls (born in 2013, 2014 or 2015) at 10:00 am*
Under 14 – 11, 12 and 13 year old girls (born in 2010, 2011 or 2012) at 11:00 am*
Under 10 – 8 and 9 year old boys (born in 2014 or 2015) at 9:00 am*
Under 12 – 10 and 11 year old boys (born in 2012 or 2013) at 10:00 am*
Under 14 – 12 and 13 year old boys (born in 2010 or 2011) at 11:00 am*
Under 16 – 14, 15 and 16 year old boys (born in 2007, 2008 or 2009) at 12:00 pm*
*Please note that we use your child’s age on December 31, 2023 to determine their age group
If you registered your child with any of our leagues, the draft will be held at the Lamar Dixon Gyms.
Please mark the date and remember to bring your child to the gym at the above time scheduled for your child’s age group.
- The draft is held at the Lamar Dixon Gym and run by the gym commissioners and administrators. Each age group is given a specific time slot.
- Your child will need to wear tennis shoes and basketball attire.
- It is recommended, but not mandatory, to attend the draft. Any child that does not come to the draft will be randomly assigned to a team.
- The coach and children to be drafted will assemble on the gym floor at their appointed time.
- The commissioner and each coach will have a list of players for that program.
- Players will be asked to take turns to run through some skill drills, and may be asked some question by the coaches, then they will leave the draft.
- Players will not know which team they have been assigned until all administrative tasks related to the draft has been completed.
- The coaches will makes notes and take turns picking players.
- Usually coaches already have a team and will need to replace any players that has moved up in age group.
- Sometimes there is an existing team that no longer has a coach, but need players to place those that have moved up. If no coach can be found for this team by draft time, the gym commissioner will make picks on behalf of that team. We will then look for a coach.
- When a coach has filled their team, they will stop making picks. The draft process continues until all children have been drafted.
- If a coach has their own child on their team, that child will be the 3rd round pick. An assistant coach’s child will be the 2nd round pick.
- Players that do not show up to the draft, will still be assigned to a team. The gym commissioner will randomly assign them to teams that still have spaces available after the draft.
- The gym commissioner will meet with the coaches to take their list of picks and provide the lists to the AYBA administration.
- Once all age group programs have been completed at all schools and AYBA administrators has received the players lists, all information will be entered into our database.
- A few weeks following the draft, the gym commissioners will hold a coaches’ meeting and hand out the team player lists.
ALL COACHES MUST ABIDE BY THE ABOVE DRAFTING RULES. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MAY A COACH ATTEMPT TO MANIPULATE THE SYSTEM TO FILL A TEAM WITH KNOWN SKILLED PLAYERS, OR PLAYERS THAT HAVE BEEN PRACTICING TOGETHER PRIOR TO THE DRAFT. AYBA IS A PURELY RECREATIONAL LEAGUE, AND WE DO NOT TOLERATE COACHES' CHEATING TO "STACK" A TEAM.
WE ENDEAVOR TO ENCOURAGE GOOD SPORTMANSHIP AND ENSURE THE KIDS HAVE FUN!